- 1 Is it OK to boil broccoli?
- 2 Is it better to boil or fry broccoli?
- 3 How long should broccoli be cooked?
- 4 How do you steam broccoli in a pan?
- 5 Why should you not boil broccoli?
- 6 Why is boiling broccoli bad?
- 7 What can you add to broccoli to make it taste better?
- 8 Is boiled broccoli still healthy?
- 9 What is the most nutritious way to cook broccoli?
- 10 How do you know when broccoli is done cooking?
- 11 What can I add to broccoli?
- 12 How long should I blanch broccoli?
- 13 How long do I put broccoli in the microwave for?
- 14 Is frying broccoli healthy?
- 15 How long does it take to steam frozen broccoli?
Is it OK to boil broccoli?
To cook: Broccoli can be boiled, steamed or stir-fried, it is easy to overcook – it should still retain its bright green colour when cooked and should have a little ‘bite’. To boil, place in a pan of boiling water and cook the florets for 6-8 minutes.
Is it better to boil or fry broccoli?
Ways to Prepare Broccoli Broccoli can be eaten raw, but blanching it quickly in boiling water helps give it a more crisp-tender texture and bring out its flavor. Broccoli can also be steamed, sautéed, and roasted. You could even throw long spears on the grill!
How long should broccoli be cooked?
Break apart the florets. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook, uncovered, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes depending on the size of the florets. Drain into a colander, transfer to a plate, sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with lemon wedges.
How do you steam broccoli in a pan?
- Add water to a large saucepan and then place the broccoli florets on top.
- Turn the burner to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Cover the pot and let the water continue to boil for 4 minutes. During this time the broccoli will steam.
- After 4 minutes, carefully strain the water from the broccoli and enjoy.
Why should you not boil broccoli?
Beware of Boiling Broccoli They found that microwaving the broccoli in the water for five minutes at full power produced the greatest nutrient loss, and the microwaved broccoli lost 74% to 97% of three key antioxidants. Boiling also led to a significant loss of these antioxidants.
Why is boiling broccoli bad?
In fact, boiling reduces vitamin C content more than any other cooking method. Broccoli, spinach, and lettuce may lose up to 50% or more of their vitamin C when boiled ( 4, 5). Because vitamin C is water-soluble and sensitive to heat, it can leach out of vegetables when they’re immersed in hot water.
What can you add to broccoli to make it taste better?
The broccoli will come out with a nice tender-crisp texture! Garlic and butter help make broccoli taste irresistible. Simply sautee the broccoli in a pan with just a little butter, some onions and grated garlic and voila! Add a drizzle of lemon if desired.
Is boiled broccoli still healthy?
Broccoli is high in many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and potassium. It also boasts more protein than most other vegetables. This green veggie can be enjoyed both raw and cooked, but recent research shows that gentle steaming provides the most health benefits ( 1, 2 ).
What is the most nutritious way to cook broccoli?
Steamed broccoli may be one of the healthiest ways to cook broccoli because it’s quick and nutrients and vitamins won’t be lost in the cooking water, as can be the case with boiled broccoli.
How do you know when broccoli is done cooking?
The broccoli is done when you can pierce it with a fork. As soon as it is pierce-able, remove from heat, place in serving dish. Note that green vegetables like broccoli will turn from vibrant green to drab olive green at about the 7 minute mark of cooking. So, watch the time, and don’t let the broccoli overcook!
What can I add to broccoli?
7 Ways to Upgrade Boring Old Steamed Broccoli
- Broccoli with Orange-Chile Oil.
- Broccoli à la Catalan.
- Broccoli with Garlicky Tapenade.
- Steamed Broccoli with Miso Butter.
- Bay-Steamed Broccoli.
- Steamed Broccoli with Ginger and Sesame Seeds.
- Steamed Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan.
How long should I blanch broccoli?
Blanch the broccoli florets: Fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set aside, near the stove. Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Carefully place the broccoli in the boiling water and let cook for 1 minute (for firm broccoli) or 2 minutes for a more tender texture.
How long do I put broccoli in the microwave for?
- Place chopped broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and pour water over the top.
- Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 4 minutes, until broccoli is tender. Be careful when you remove the broccoli from the microwave.
- Transfer broccoli to a serving dish.
Is frying broccoli healthy?
And studies that have focused on other vegetables — like carrots, courgettes (zucchini), and broccoli — actually found that frying them caused them to retain less nutrients and antioxidants than boiling or steaming.
How long does it take to steam frozen broccoli?
Put a couple inches of water in a pot over medium heat. Once the water is boiling, add your steamer basket; if you don’t have a steamer basket, you can use a metal colander or sieve that fits in the pot. Add your broccoli, cover with a lid and let steam for 5 to 8 minutes.