For example, a 20-pound turkey will take 4 1/4 to 5 hours to cook; after 4 1/4 hours, check the temperature with a thermometer to ensure it is properly cooked. 4.Traditional Roast Turkey with Cranberry Sauce (unstuffed)
|8 to 12 pounds||2 3/4 to 3 hours|
|18 to 20 pounds||4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||4 1/2 to 5 hours|
- 1 How long should a 20 lb turkey cook at 350?
- 2 Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
- 3 How long do you roast a 20 lb turkey?
- 4 Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350 per pound?
- 5 Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
- 6 Do you put butter on turkey before cooking?
- 7 How do I keep my turkey moist?
- 8 How long does it take to cook a 21 pound Butterball turkey?
- 9 How often should you baste your turkey?
- 10 Do you put water in the bottom of the roasting pan for turkey?
- 11 How long does it take to cook a 20 pound Butterball turkey?
- 12 Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
- 13 What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
- 14 How long do you cook a 22 pound turkey in a bag?
How long should a 20 lb turkey cook at 350?
If your turkey weighs 18 to 20 pounds, cook it at 350°F for 4 to 414 hours, depending on its size. 325°F for 414 to 412 hours at 325°F
Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
325°F to 350°F is an appropriate temperature range for roasting a turkey uncovered. However, while high temperatures may cause the flesh to dry out, they are preferred over low temperatures that might prevent the turkey’s internal temperature from reaching a safe level throughout the cooking process.
How long do you roast a 20 lb turkey?
Heavy-duty foil should be used to completely cover the pan, including the bird, to ensure a tight seal. Place the turkey in the oven and roast it for approximately 10 minutes per pound of weight. (A 20-pound turkey will take around 3 1/2 hours to cook; a 15-pound turkey would take approximately 2 1/2 hours.)
Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350 per pound?
If you’re determined to stuff the turkey, you’ll want to bake it at 325°F for 20-25 minutes per pound of bird weight, and you’ll want to cover the turkey (particularly the wings and drumsticks) with a loose tent of aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out or burning throughout the baking.
Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
Because roasting racks have narrower sides than roasters, more hot air can flow around the turkey, resulting in extra-crispy skin on the outside of the bird. Covering the turkey with aluminum foil replicates the function of a roaster cover in that it holds steam and moisture, preventing the bird from drying out while also enabling the skin to crisp up.
Do you put butter on turkey before cooking?
Don’t smear butter on your fowl. It is not possible to make the flesh more juicy by putting butter under the skin, while it may aid in the browning of the skin. López-Alt, on the other hand, argues that butter contains around 17 percent water and will leave splotches on your bird’s skin. As an alternative, coat the skin with vegetable oil before roasting.
How do I keep my turkey moist?
Recipe for Traditional Bread Stuffing
- Make the switch to a fresh turkey rather than a frozen one.
- It is preferable to roast two little turkeys rather than one giant bird.
- Make a brine for the turkey.
- Soft butter should be massaged into the skin.
- Loosely or not at all in the truss.
- Initially, roast the turkey upside down on a baking sheet.
- Make sure not to overcook it.
- Allow time for the turkey to rest before cutting it.
How long does it take to cook a 21 pound Butterball turkey?
Butterball’s recommendations for an unstuffed turkey were as follows:
- 6-10 pounds: 112 to 2 hours
- 112 to 2 hours
- 10-18 pounds: 2-212 hours
- The time required for 18-22 pounds is 212-3 hours.
- 3312 hours for 22-24 pounds
How often should you baste your turkey?
How often should you bast a turkey? The majority of turkey recipes will instruct you to baste your bird every 30 minutes. Nevertheless, our rule of thumb is really every forty minutes, and the following is why. There is no use in opening the oven too many times because the entire chicken will take considerably longer to cook, which is a major nuisance.
Fill the roasting pan halfway with water to prevent the turkey from drying out. At the beginning of the cooking process, Grandma usually poured water or chicken stock into the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent the meat from sticking. This prevents the bird from becoming dehydrated.
How long does it take to cook a 20 pound Butterball turkey?
Raise the temperature of the turkey breast to 170 degrees F and the thigh to 175 degrees F, roughly 12-13 minutes per pound for an unstuffed turkey and 15 minutes for a stuffed bird, depending on how much stuffing you want in your turkey.
Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
Cover your roasting pan with a lid or aluminum foil and cook covered for 2 hours (depending on the size of your bird) before removing the lid or foil and continuing to cook uncovered for the remaining time. Every half hour or so, baste your turkey with a little olive oil. Basting, on the other hand, will not make your turkey moister; instead, it will encourage even browning of the skin.
What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
Place the turkey in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, uncovered. Start the cooking at 400°F for the first 20 minutes of the 15-pound turkey to allow it to brown properly. Continue cooking at 325°F for the next 1 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches around 140°F to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the breast is cooked through.
How long do you cook a 22 pound turkey in a bag?
Cook entire, unstuffed turkeys in oven cooking bags at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately the following amounts of time:
- 1 1/2 to 2 hours for an 8-12 pound turkey
- 2 to 2 1/2 hours for a 12 to 16-pound turkey
- 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a 16-20 pound turkey
- 3 to 3 1/2 hours for a 20-24 lb bird
- 3 to 3 1/2 hours for a 20-24 pound turkey