How Long Should You Cook a Turkey?
|Turkey Weight||Servings||Cooking Time in Gas Oven (Stuffed)|
|8-12 pounds||6-9 servings||3 hrs. – 3 hrs. 30 mins.|
|12-14 pounds||9-11 servings||3 hrs. 30 mins. – 4 hrs.|
|14-18 pounds||11-14 servings||4 hrs. – 4 hrs. 15 mins.|
|18-20 pounds||14-16 servings||4 hrs. 15 mins. – 4 hrs. 45 mins.|
- 1 How long to cook a 20 lb Turkey in oven?
- 2 Why does it take so long to cook a Turkey?
- 3 What temperature do you cook a Turkey in an oven bag?
- 4 What temperature do you cook a turkey in a gas oven?
- 5 How do you cook a turkey in a gas oven?
- 6 Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350 gas oven?
- 7 How long do I cook a 20lb turkey in a gas oven?
- 8 How long do you cook a turkey in a propane oven?
- 9 How long will a 15lb turkey take to cook?
- 10 How long should a 9 lb turkey cook?
- 11 How do you cook a turkey in a gas convection oven?
- 12 How long should a 20lb turkey cook?
- 13 Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
- 14 Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
- 15 Can you cook a turkey lower than 325?
- 16 Is gas or electric oven better for turkey?
- 17 How long does it take to cook an 18 pound turkey at 350 degrees?
How long to cook a 20 lb Turkey in oven?
Cook entire, unstuffed turkeys in oven cooking bags at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately the following amounts of time: Turkey weighing 20-24 pounds: 3 to 3 1/2 hours is a good estimate.If you are stuffing the turkey, you should allow an additional 30 minutes.When a whole turkey achieves an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit as tested using a food thermometer, it is considered to be well cooked.
Why does it take so long to cook a Turkey?
As soon as you open the oven door to baste the turkey, the temperature of the oven decreases by a small amount. If you baste often, you may find that your cooking time is significantly longer. A turkey thermometer should be used to ensure that the turkey is cooked to a safe internal temperature.
What temperature do you cook a Turkey in an oven bag?
Oven cooking bags, which are made of nylon and may be used to speed up the cooking of a turkey, are available. Refer to the instructions on the oven bag box for the appropriate cooking periods provided by the manufacturer. Cook entire, unstuffed turkeys in oven cooking bags at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately the following amounts of time:
What temperature do you cook a turkey in a gas oven?
How to roast turkey.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7, 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius)
- As soon as you receive your turkey, remove the giblets from the body cavity and set the turkey on a platter in the lowest area of the refrigerator, uncovered.
How do you cook a turkey in a gas oven?
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (325 degrees Fahrenheit), gas mark 3, and bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours for a turkey weighing 8-12 pounds; for a turkey weighing 12-15 pounds, bake for 4 1/2 to 5 hours; and for a turkey weighing 15-20 pounds, bake for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350 gas oven?
Roast in a 325° or 350° oven (depending on the size of the chicken; see below) until a thermometer registers 160 degrees. If the turkey is not stuffed, tilt it gently to allow fluids to escape from the body cavity into the pan. Place the turkey on a serving plate. Allow to stand for 15 to 30 minutes in a warm, exposed location before carving.
How long do I cook a 20lb turkey in a gas oven?
Depending on the temperature of the turkey when it is placed in the oven, you will need to wait 3.5-4.5 hours for it to roast for a 15- to 20-pound turkey. It is preferable if the turkey is allowed to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before being placed in the oven.
How long do you cook a turkey in a propane oven?
Whether you are baking or grilling your turkey, the cooking time is around 15-20 minutes per pound, and your turkey is done when the internal temperature of the bird reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
How long will a 15lb turkey take to cook?
Depending on the size of your turkey (15-16 pounds), you should roast it at 425°F for 3 to 314 hours. 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 314 to 312 hours 312 to 334 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 334 to 4 hours
How long should a 9 lb turkey cook?
- Weights ranging from 4 to 8 pounds (breast alone) take 1 1/2 to 3 1/4 hours.
- 8 to 12 pounds: 2 3/4 to 3 hours
- 13 to 18 pounds: 2 3/4 to 3 hours
- 12 to 14 pounds: 3 to 3 3/4 hours
- 16 to 18 pounds: 3 to 3 3/4 hours
- 14 to 18 pounds: 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours
- 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours for 18 to 20 pounds
- 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours for 22 to 24 pounds
- 20 to 24 pounds: 4 1/2 to 5 hours
- 25 to 30 pounds: 4 1/2 to 5 hours
How do you cook a turkey in a gas convection oven?
Using a brush, coat the turkey with olive oil before roasting it. Cut and loosen the skin off the turkey breast, and then massage the rosemary and thyme into the turkey breast to flavor it. Placing the turkey on the lowest rack of the oven and cooking for 2-2 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the turkey thigh reaches 180 degrees F, should be plenty for most people.
How long should a 20lb turkey cook?
Are you unsure about how long you should cook the bird in the oven? A 20-pound turkey will take 4 to 5 hours to roast in the oven at 325°F (the lowest temperature the USDA advises), and 4 14 to 5 14 hours to bake in the oven stuffed.
Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
Because roasting racks have narrower sides than roasters, more hot air can flow around the turkey, resulting in extra-crispy skin on the outside of the bird. Covering the turkey with aluminum foil replicates the function of a roaster cover in that it holds steam and moisture, preventing the bird from drying out while also enabling the skin to crisp up.
Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
Cover your roasting pan with a lid or aluminum foil and cook covered for 2 hours (depending on the size of your bird) before removing the lid or foil and continuing to cook uncovered for the remaining time. Every half hour or so, baste your turkey with a little olive oil. Basting, on the other hand, will not make your turkey moister; instead, it will encourage even browning of the skin.
Can you cook a turkey lower than 325?
Cook meat and poultry at a safe temperature – The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) advises cooking meat and poultry at temperatures no lower than 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook the turkey until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius).
Is gas or electric oven better for turkey?
Compared to regular ovens, convection ovens cook the Thanksgiving turkey more rapidly (about 30% quicker) and more evenly than standard ovens. This is due to the internal fans of convection ovens that aggressively circulate hot air throughout the oven.
How long does it take to cook an 18 pound turkey at 350 degrees?
Depending on the temperature of the oven and whether or not your turkey recipe asks for a filled or an unstuffed bird, the amount of time it takes to cook a turkey might vary. Roasting a turkey at 350 degrees F for 13 minutes per pound of weight for an unstuffed bird is our recommendation.