Traditionally prepared roast turkey (unstuffed)
|8 to 12 pounds||2 3/4 to 3 hours|
|14 to 18 pounds||3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours|
|18 to 20 pounds||4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||4 1/2 to 5 hours|
- 1 How long does an 18 pound turkey take to cook?
- 2 Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
- 3 What is the best temperature to cook an unstuffed turkey?
- 4 How long do you cook an unstuffed turkey at 325?
- 5 How long does it take to cook a 18 lb Butterball turkey?
- 6 How long do you cook an 18 lb Butterball turkey?
- 7 Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
- 8 Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
- 9 Do you put butter on turkey before cooking?
- 10 How long do you cook an unstuffed 20 lb turkey?
- 11 How do I keep my turkey moist?
- 12 How often do you baste a turkey?
- 13 What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
- 14 How long does it take to cook a 14lb stuffed turkey?
- 15 What temperature does a turkey need to be to be done?
How long does an 18 pound turkey take to cook?
Please keep in mind that turkeys and home ovens are all different. However, in general, you will want to roast an unstuffed turkey at 325 degrees for around 15 minutes per pound of weight. The cooking time for an 18-pounder would be around four and a half hours.
Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
325°F to 350°F is an appropriate temperature range for roasting a turkey uncovered. However, while high temperatures may cause the flesh to dry out, they are preferred over low temperatures that might prevent the turkey’s internal temperature from reaching a safe level throughout the cooking process.
What is the best temperature to cook an unstuffed turkey?
Depending on the temperature of the oven and whether or not your turkey recipe asks for a filled or an unstuffed bird, the amount of time it takes to cook a turkey might vary. Roasting a turkey at 350 degrees F for 13 minutes per pound of weight for an unstuffed bird is our recommendation.
How long do you cook an unstuffed turkey at 325?
Using the assumption that you would be roasting your turkey in a 325°F oven, allow 15 to 17 minutes of cooking time for each pound of unstuffed turkey. For a stuffed turkey, allow 20 to 22 minutes per pound of weight. 8 to 12 lb.
How long does it take to cook a 18 lb Butterball turkey?
Butterball’s recommendations for an unstuffed turkey were as follows: 12 to 2 hours for 6-10 pounds. 10 to 18 pounds: 2 to 2 and a half hours. The time it takes to lift 18-22 pounds is 212-3 hours.
How long do you cook an 18 lb Butterball turkey?
16 to 18 lbs. – 2 1/4-2 1/4 2-2 1/2 hours / 3 1/4-4 hours / 3 1/4-4 hours When you follow these recommendations, turkey breasts will come out soft and tasty, and they will be simple to roast: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
To achieve this equilibrium, it is best to allow the bird to spend equal amounts of time covered and uncovered: For the most of the cooking time, we recommend covering the bird to keep it from drying out. Then, we recommend removing the cover for the last 30 minutes or so of cooking time to enable the skin to crisp.
Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
Butterball recommends that you cover the breasts of the turkey with a tiny tent made of aluminum foil after it has been cooking for approximately two-thirds of the time required (depending on the size of the bird). These steps will help to reduce the cooking time for the turkey breasts.
Do you put butter on turkey before cooking?
Don’t smear butter on your fowl. It is not possible to make the flesh more juicy by putting butter under the skin, while it may aid in the browning of the skin. López-Alt, on the other hand, argues that butter contains around 17 percent water and will leave splotches on your bird’s skin. As an alternative, coat the skin with vegetable oil before roasting.
How long do you cook an unstuffed 20 lb turkey?
A 20-pound turkey will take 4 to 5 hours to roast in the oven at 325°F (the lowest temperature the USDA advises), and 4 14 to 5 14 hours to bake in the oven stuffed.
How do I keep my turkey moist?
Recipe for Traditional Bread Stuffing
- Make the switch to a fresh turkey rather than a frozen one.
- It is preferable to roast two little turkeys rather than one giant bird.
- Make a brine for the turkey.
- Soft butter should be massaged into the skin.
- Loosely or not at all in the truss.
- Initially, roast the turkey upside down on a baking sheet.
- Make sure not to overcook it.
- Allow time for the turkey to rest before cutting it.
How often do you baste a turkey?
How often should you bast a turkey? The majority of turkey recipes will instruct you to baste your bird every 30 minutes. Nevertheless, our rule of thumb is really every forty minutes, and the following is why. There is no use in opening the oven too many times because the entire chicken will take considerably longer to cook, which is a major nuisance.
What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
Place the turkey in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, uncovered. Start the cooking at 400°F for the first 20 minutes of the 15-pound turkey to allow it to brown properly. Continue cooking at 325°F for the next 1 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches around 140°F to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the breast is cooked through.
How long does it take to cook a 14lb stuffed turkey?
How Long Should a Stuffed Turkey Be Cooked?
- Roast a 10- to 12-pound turkey for 314 to 312 hours for a 10- to 12-pound bird.
- Roast a 12- to 14-pound turkey for 3 12 to 4 hours, depending on its size.
- Roast a 14- to 18-pound turkey for 4 to 414 hours, depending on its size.
- Roast an 18- to 20-pound turkey for 414 to 434 hours if it weighs 18 to 20 pounds.
- Roast a 20- to 24-pound turkey for 43- to 51-hours, depending on its size.
What temperature does a turkey need to be to be done?
The use of a meat thermometer can help you ensure that your turkey is cooked to the proper internal temperature. Insert it so that it is near to, but not touching, the femur. If the temperature in the thigh reads 180 degrees F and the temperature in the breast reads 170 degrees F, the chicken is done and ready to serve.