When to cook the turkey: temperature and time recommendations
- For a 10–13-pound turkey (with giblets), follow these instructions: Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 1 1/2–2 1/4 hours.
- For a 14–23-pound turkey (with giblets), follow these instructions: Preheat the oven to 325°F and bake for 2–3 hours.
- For a 24-27-pound person
- For a 28–30-pound turkey (with giblets), follow these instructions: Preheat the oven to 325°F and bake for 3 1/2–4 1/2 hours.
- 1 How long does it take to cook a Turkey per pound?
- 2 How long to cook a stuffed turkey in the oven?
- 3 How much Turkey do I need to cook per person?
- 4 What is the best way to cook a fully cooked turkey?
- 5 How long should a 23 pound turkey cook?
- 6 Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
- 7 How long does it take to cook a 23 pound turkey and at what temperature?
- 8 How long should you cook a 24 lb turkey?
- 9 How long does it take to cook a 23 lb turkey in a bag?
- 10 Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
- 11 Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
- 12 How long does it take to cook a 24 lb turkey in an oven bag?
- 13 How long does it take to cook a 23 lb turkey unstuffed?
- 14 What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
- 15 Do you put water in the bottom of the roasting pan for turkey?
- 16 How long does it take to cook a 24-pound turkey at 325 degrees?
- 17 How long does it take to cook a 24 lb Butterball turkey?
- 18 How long do you cook a 24 lb Butterball turkey?
How long does it take to cook a Turkey per pound?
As long as the turkey reaches a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it is OK. No matter what color it is, it is safe to consume. This necessitates a cooking time of 30 to 35 minutes per pound of turkey when cooked at 235 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long to cook a stuffed turkey in the oven?
Roast a stuffed turkey for 15 minutes per pound at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. A thermometer put into the center of the stuffing should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit (75 degrees Celsius). It is critical to confirm this temperature before proceeding with baking. The cooking time for a 23-pound turkey at 325°F is as follows:
How much Turkey do I need to cook per person?
Unless otherwise specified, all cooking times are for a whole unstuffed turkey placed on a rack in a roasting pan and baked in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven. Turkey should be served at a rate of one to one and a half pounds per person, depending on how much you enjoy leftovers!
What is the best way to cook a fully cooked turkey?
See how to truss a turkey in this video. Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan and into a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven. Cook the turkey according to the instructions above, adjusting the cooking times as necessary. Roast until the skin is a light golden color, then loosely tent the breast with aluminum foil to prevent it from browning any more.
How long should a 23 pound turkey cook?
How Long Should a Turkey Be Cooked?
|Turkey Weight||Servings||Cooking Time|
|15 to 18 lb||10 to 12||3 1/4 to 4 hours|
|18 to 20 lb||12 to 14||4 to 4 1/4 hours|
|20 to 22 lb||14 to 16||4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours|
|23 to 24 lb||16 to 20||5 to 5 1/4 hours|
Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
325°F to 350°F is an appropriate temperature range for roasting a turkey uncovered. However, while high temperatures may cause the flesh to dry out, they are preferred over low temperatures that might prevent the turkey’s internal temperature from reaching a safe level throughout the cooking process.
How long does it take to cook a 23 pound turkey and at what temperature?
The rule of thumb is 15 minutes per pound of turkey, but the actual cooking time may vary depending on the oven temperature, whether the turkey is filled or unstuffed, and if the bird is fresh or frozen.
|Turkey weight||Unstuffed turkey cooking time||Oven temperature|
|15 to 22 lb||3 to 4 hours||325°F|
|23 to 25 lb||4 to 4 1/2hours||325°F|
How long should you cook a 24 lb turkey?
The easiest method of determining turkey roasting durations is to multiply the weight of the bird by 13 minutes per pound at 350°F (which equals around 3 hours for a 12- to 14-pound turkey). If your turkey weighs 24 pounds, roast it at the following temperatures:
- 425°F for 414 to 412 hours at 425°F
- 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 412 to 434 hours
- 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 434 to 5 hours
- 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 to 514 hours
How long does it take to cook a 23 lb turkey in a bag?
Cook entire, unstuffed turkeys in oven cooking bags at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately the following amounts of time:
- 1 1/2 to 2 hours for an 8-12 pound turkey
- 2 to 2 1/2 hours for a 12 to 16-pound turkey
- 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a 16-20 pound turkey
- 3 to 3 1/2 hours for a 20-24 lb bird
- 3 to 3 1/2 hours for a 20-24 pound turkey
Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
Because roasting racks have narrower sides than roasters, more hot air can flow around the turkey, resulting in extra-crispy skin on the outside of the bird. Covering the turkey with aluminum foil replicates the function of a roaster cover in that it holds steam and moisture, preventing the bird from drying out while also enabling the skin to crisp up.
Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
Cover your roasting pan with a lid or aluminum foil and cook covered for 2 hours (depending on the size of your bird) before removing the lid or foil and continuing to cook uncovered for the remaining time. Every half hour or so, baste your turkey with a little olive oil. Basting, on the other hand, will not make your turkey moister; instead, it will encourage even browning of the skin.
How long does it take to cook a 24 lb turkey in an oven bag?
How long should a turkey be cooked in an oven bag? It will take roughly 2 to 2 1/2 hours to cook a 12- to 15-pound turkey. It will take around 3 1/2 to 4 hours to cook a 20- to 24-pound turkey. An internal thermometer reading of 165 F in the thickest section of the breast farthest from the bone is the greatest indicator of a well cooked chicken.
How long does it take to cook a 23 lb turkey unstuffed?
Traditionally prepared roast turkey (unstuffed)
|8 to 12 pounds||2 3/4 to 3 hours|
|14 to 18 pounds||3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours|
|18 to 20 pounds||4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||4 1/2 to 5 hours|
What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
Place the turkey in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, uncovered. Start the cooking at 400°F for the first 20 minutes of the 15-pound turkey to allow it to brown properly. Continue cooking at 325°F for the next 1 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches around 140°F to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the breast is cooked through.
Fill the roasting pan halfway with water to prevent the turkey from drying out. At the beginning of the cooking process, Grandma usually poured water or chicken stock into the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent the meat from sticking. This prevents the bird from becoming dehydrated.
How long does it take to cook a 24-pound turkey at 325 degrees?
Based on a 325°F oven and a completely defrosted or fresh chicken, this USDA table provides an estimate of cooking time. (For an unstuffed chicken, the time required is around 15 minutes per pound.)
How long does it take to cook a 24 lb Butterball turkey?
Butterball’s recommendations for an unstuffed turkey were as follows: 12 to 2 hours for 6-10 pounds. 10 to 18 pounds: 2 to 2 and a half hours. The time it takes to lift 18-22 pounds is 212-3 hours.
How long do you cook a 24 lb Butterball turkey?
|SIZE||APPROXIAMATE THAWING TIME||APPROXIMATE ROASTING TIME 325°F|
|10 to 18 lbs||3 to 4 days||3 to 3½ hrs.|
|18 to 22 lbs||4 to 5 days||3½ to 4 hrs.|
|22 to 24 lbs||5 to 6 days||4 to 4½ hrs.|