The rule of thumb is 15 minutes per pound of turkey, but the actual cooking time may vary depending on the oven temperature, whether the turkey is filled or unstuffed, and if the bird is fresh or frozen.
|Turkey weight||Unstuffed turkey cooking time||Oven temperature|
|10 to 14 lb||2-1/4 to 3 hours||350°F|
|15 to 22 lb||3 to 4 hours||325°F|
- 1 How long does it take to cook a 24 pound turkey?
- 2 How long does it take to cook a frozen turkey?
- 3 How much Turkey do I need to cook for a party?
- 4 How do you know when a Turkey is done cooking?
- 5 How long do you cook a 22.5 pound turkey?
- 6 Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
- 7 How long does it take for a 22 lb stuffed turkey to cook?
- 8 Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350 per pound?
- 9 What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
- 10 Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
- 11 How long do you cook a 23 lb Butterball turkey?
- 12 How many hours does it take to cook a 25 pound turkey?
- 13 Do you put butter on turkey before cooking?
- 14 How long does it take to cook a 22 pound turkey at 325?
- 15 How long do you cook a stuffed 24 pound turkey?
- 16 Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
- 17 Do you put water in the bottom of the roasting pan for turkey?
- 18 How do I keep my turkey moist?
How long does it take to cook a 24 pound turkey?
While 325 degrees Fahrenheit is usually the ideal temperature for cooking a turkey, the amount of time your bird will require in the oven may vary depending on its weight. It takes less than 3 hours to cook an 8-pound turkey without stuffing, but it might take more than 5 hours to cook a 24-pound turkey with stuffing.
How long does it take to cook a frozen turkey?
All of these timeframes are based on roasting a turkey at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.Even while it is safe to cook a totally frozen turkey, it will take at least 50 percent longer than cooking a thoroughly thawed turkey.If you are cooking from frozen, remove the giblet packet with tongs halfway through the cooking process.Cook until an instant read thermometer inserted into the deepest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How much Turkey do I need to cook for a party?
We talked with the USDA, which is the world’s foremost authority on all things turkey, and came up with this simple advice for cooking success. 1 1/2 pounds (uncooked) turkey per person is a good estimate. Make sure you provide adequate time for thawing your bird; here’s our thawing instructions to help you.
How do you know when a Turkey is done cooking?
Although it is helpful to have an estimate of cooking time, the most crucial item to look for is the temperature reading on the meat thermometer when it is pushed into the thigh.Turkeys should be cooked at 325 degrees Fahrenheit, and they are done when a thermometer registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit for a turkey without stuffing and 175 degrees Fahrenheit to 180 degrees Fahrenheit for a filled turkey.
How long do you cook a 22.5 pound turkey?
The easiest method of determining turkey roasting durations is to multiply the weight of the bird by 13 minutes per pound at 350°F (which equals around 3 hours for a 12- to 14-pound turkey). If your turkey weighs between 21 and 22 pounds, roast it at the following temperatures:
- 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 to 414 hours
- 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 414 to 412 hours
- 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 412 to 434 hours
- 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 434 to 5 hours
Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
325°F to 350°F is an appropriate temperature range for roasting a turkey uncovered. However, while high temperatures may cause the flesh to dry out, they are preferred over low temperatures that might prevent the turkey’s internal temperature from reaching a safe level throughout the cooking process.
How long does it take for a 22 lb stuffed turkey to cook?
It takes longer to cook a filled turkey than it does an unstuffed bird. Roast a stuffed turkey at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes each pound of weight. Important: Check the internal temperature of the stuffing; it should be 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) when the thermometer is placed in the center of the stuffing, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350 per pound?
If you’re determined to stuff the turkey, you’ll want to bake it at 325°F for 20-25 minutes per pound of bird weight, and you’ll want to cover the turkey (particularly the wings and drumsticks) with a loose tent of aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out or burning throughout the baking.
What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
Place the turkey in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, uncovered. Start the cooking at 400°F for the first 20 minutes of the 15-pound turkey to allow it to brown properly. Continue cooking at 325°F for the next 1 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches around 140°F to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the breast is cooked through.
Should I cover my turkey with aluminum foil?
Because roasting racks have narrower sides than roasters, more hot air can flow around the turkey, resulting in extra-crispy skin on the outside of the bird. Covering the turkey with aluminum foil replicates the function of a roaster cover in that it holds steam and moisture, preventing the bird from drying out while also enabling the skin to crisp up.
How long do you cook a 23 lb Butterball turkey?
Butterball advised the following cooking times for a chicken that was not stuffed: 1.
- 6-7 pounds: 2-212 hours
- 7-8 pounds: 2-212 hours
- 7-10 pounds: 212-3 hours
- 11-20 pounds: 212-3 hours
- 3312 hours for 10-18 pounds
- 3312 hours for 20-30 pounds
- 3312 hours for 30 pounds
- 3 to 4 hours for 18-22 pounds
- 3 to 4 hours for 22 pounds.
- 22-24 pounds: 4-412 hours
- 4 12 to 5 hours for 24-30 pounds
How many hours does it take to cook a 25 pound turkey?
Temperatures and times for cooking a turkey According to the University of Minnesota Extension, a 25-pound turkey will take roughly 5 hours and 30 minutes to cook until done — when a thermometer put into the thickest portion of the breast and thigh reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit — if it is stuffed.
Do you put butter on turkey before cooking?
Don’t smear butter on your fowl. It is not possible to make the flesh more juicy by putting butter under the skin, while it may aid in the browning of the skin. López-Alt, on the other hand, argues that butter contains around 17 percent water and will leave splotches on your bird’s skin. As an alternative, coat the skin with vegetable oil before roasting.
How long does it take to cook a 22 pound turkey at 325?
A 21.5-pound turkey cooked at 325 degrees Fahrenheit will take 4.5 to 5 hours to cook – assuming the turkey is unstuffed. Make sure to add at least 15 minutes to the entire cooking time if it’s stuffed with your favorite stuffing.
How long do you cook a stuffed 24 pound turkey?
Stuffed Roast Turkey
|8 to 12 pounds||2 3/4 to 3 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||4 1/2 to 5 hours|
|8 to 12 pounds||3 to 3 1/2 hours|
Do you cover a turkey while cooking?
Cover your roasting pan with a lid or aluminum foil and cook covered for 2 hours (depending on the size of your bird) before removing the lid or foil and continuing to cook uncovered for the remaining time. Every half hour or so, baste your turkey with a little olive oil. Basting, on the other hand, will not make your turkey moister; instead, it will encourage even browning of the skin.
Fill the roasting pan halfway with water to prevent the turkey from drying out. At the beginning of the cooking process, Grandma usually poured water or chicken stock into the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent the meat from sticking. This prevents the bird from becoming dehydrated.
How do I keep my turkey moist?
Recipe for Traditional Bread Stuffing
- Make the switch to a fresh turkey rather than a frozen one.
- It is preferable to roast two little turkeys rather than one giant bird.
- Make a brine for the turkey.
- Soft butter should be massaged into the skin.
- Loosely or not at all in the truss.
- Initially, roast the turkey upside down on a baking sheet.
- Make sure not to overcook it.
- Allow time for the turkey to rest before cutting it.